Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics for Board Members of Science Iowa
Goal: To establish principles and practices for the Science Iowa Board of Directors that will set parameters and provide guidance and direction for board conduct and decision-making.
Code: Science Iowa directors are committed to observing and promoting the highest standards of ethical conduct in performing their responsibilities. Each pledges to accept this code as a minimum guideline for ethical conduct and shall:
1. Faithfully abide by the by-laws and policies of Science Iowa.
2. Exercise reasonable care, good faith and due diligence in organizational affairs.
3. Fully disclose, at the earliest opportunity, information that may result in a perceived or actual conflict of interests.
4. Fully disclose, at the earliest opportunity, information important to board deliberations.
5. Remain accountable for prudent fiscal management to association members, the board, and nonprofit sector, and where applicable, to government and funding bodies.
6. Maintain a professional level of courtesy, respect, and objectivity in all Science Iowa activities.
7. Strive to uphold these practices and assist other Science Iowa board members in upholding the highest standards of conduct.
8. Exercise the powers invested for the good of all Science Iowa members rather than for his or her personal benefit,- or that of any other organization.
9. Ensure the right of all Science Iowa members to appropriate and effective services without discrimination on the basis of geography, political, religious, or socio-economic characteristics of the state of Iowa.
10. Ensure the right of all members to appropriate and effective services without discrimination on the basis of the organization’s volunteer or staff characteristics with respect to gender, sexual orientation, national origin, race, religion, age, political affiliation or disability, in accordance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
11. Respect the confidentiality of sensitive information known due to board service.
Collaboration and Cooperation
12. Respect the diversity of opinions as expressed or acted upon by the Science Iowa board, committees and membership, and formally register dissent as appropriate.
13. Promote collaboration, cooperation, and partnership among Science Iowa members.
Violation of Code of Ethics
Board members are required to be faithful to the organizations mission. They are not permitted to act or represent Science Iowa in a way that is inconsistent with the mission and goals of Science Iowa.
Board members in violation of the Science Iowa Code of Ethics may be discharged from the Board by consensus and recommendation of the board and a vote of the members.
Approved: Acting Science Iowa Board of Directors, February 16, 2020